How to make an invoice using the invoice generator
We’ve written step by step instructions on creating an invoice as well as a run down of what a professional invoice includes. Feel free to check out our comprehensive article on making an invoice.
Alternative to using an invoice generator
You may initially start out using a simple excel or word invoice template, but when you get to making your second or third invoice you’ll realize that you’re wasting a lot of your time on repetitive tasks. For example:
- You need to duplicate and rename your original file every time you want to make a new invoice.
- You end up re-typing client and item details even though you’ve sent them an invoice before.
- It’s a hassle to organize and find old invoices.
- If you want to know how much you’ve invoiced over a certain period you’ll have to open up every single file and manually add up the totals.
This is time you spend doing administrative work. Time that you’re not being paid by anyone to do. My guess is you didn’t start your own business to do administrative work.
Benefits of using an invoice generator
Instead of working hard, we should work smart! The smart thing is to use the right tool for the job, an invoice generator.
When you use Invoice Simple’s invoice generator you save yourself a lot of time and effort. Here are some of the reasons why:
- The app saves your clients and items, having them ready for use the next time you’re writing an invoice
- Organize your invoices without needing to put in any additional time in
- Use a professionally designed template that’s compatible with printers and mobile devices
- See an overview of your business at a glance, without any effort
- Know when your invoice is viewed by a customer
- Process credit cards online or on the spot
- and many more amazing benefits
Frequently asked questions
Can I put my own logo on the invoice template?
Yes. Click on the logo box in the top right corner. From there, you can either upload the logo for your invoice template, or simply drag and drop it into place. JPEG and PNG images are supported.
How do I send my invoice?
You can email your invoice, download a PDF copy, or share your invoice as a link, all using our invoice maker. If you email your invoice directly from Invoice Simple, we’ll notify you when your customer views the invoice — useful for following up with them later. If you send a link to your customer, they can download or print the invoice from the link.
Will my clients see 'Invoice Simple' on my invoices?
Never. Regardless of whether you have a registered account or not, your generated invoices are always 100% unbranded.
Can I generate a PDF invoice?
Absolutely. The PDF button on the right side of the invoice generator lets you instantly download a PDF invoice that you can save for your records or send to your customer.
Can I change the currency?
Yes. Our invoice generator should detect your currency automatically. However, if you want to make an invoice in a different currency, you can easily change currencies using the Settings panel on the right.
Can I save my invoice and customer details?
Yes. Your invoices are automatically saved to your invoices list. There is also a clients list where customer information is automatically saved to.
As a freelancer, how do I invoice for time?
What works well is to put your hours into the quantity field and your hourly rate into the price field. The invoice generator will then calculate the amount for you.
Is this invoice generator free?
Your first three invoices are totally free. You do not need an account or a credit card to start sending. After your first three invoices, there is a flat monthly fee of $2.99 USD that allows you to generate unlimited invoices.
How do I charge taxes using the invoice generator?
If you'd like your invoices to include taxes on top of your prices, use the Settings pane on the right to enable taxes. You can also enter a tax rate and label.
What about line items that already have tax applied?
If your prices already include tax, and you'd like your invoices to show the amount of tax included, then select the Inclusive? checkbox when enabling taxes.