Looking for a specific free invoice template style or format? Then read on!
More free invoice template formats and styles
Benefits of using a great invoice template
Your Invoices are the last interaction customers have with your business. When you use a great invoice, you enjoy quite a few benefits:
- leaving a great last impression with your client
- clients are more likely to refer you to other potential customers
- a happy customer is a repeat customer
- a professional record is more likely to be kept whereas a handwritten note would be discarded or mistaken for trash
- if you use our mobile app you’ll be able to find out when clients view your invoice
- when using our mobile app you can setup online payments and get paid shortly after sending your invoice
When you have access to free invoice templates, you might as well reap the rewards.
Invoice template highlights
We’ve put in a lot of effort to make sure you get the best template possible. Here are some of the highlights:
- All versions are print friendly
- fully customizable
- include essential invoice elements
- automatically calculate subtotal and grand total amounts
- professionally formatted
Finally, if you just want to look at a fully filled out sample invoice click here. You’ll be able to view how the finished invoice will look.
Special purpose templates
Some fields like construction or freelancing require a customized invoice template. That’s why we’ve made a few specialization pages:
- Construction invoice templates: designed with separate materials and labour sections. They also include ‘site location’ instead of shipping details/address/costs.
- Freelance invoice templates: includes a couple free invoice templates tailored towards billing for projects and time.
- Printable invoice template: a printer friendly black and white template.
- Graphic design invoice template: working as a freelance graphic designer? Then these templates are made for you!
- Photography invoice template: a few tips on writing a comprehensive invoice for photography jobs, along with relevant templates.
- Contractor invoice template: similar to the construction group, these guys have materials and labour sections. This page also includes tips on what to include to leave a great final impression with your invoice.
Which invoice template format should I use?
You have a few different choices when selecting a template. Each has it’s benefits and trade offs. Let’s go through them one by one:
Word or Google Docs
Microsoft Word is designed for general documents such as letters and reports. You can usually make quite good looking documents in Word. However it can be quite a pain to add line items, totals and calculate taxes. It can be quite difficult and frustrating to initially create your template, so make sure you start with an existing template.
I’ve often struggled with making a Word doc that looks the way I want it to. There are always some unseen and immovable margins at work. Do yourself a favour and skip making a template from scratch. Instead use one of the many free invoice templates provided here.
Excel or Google Sheets
Some recommend using Excel instead of Word, because of it’s automatic formulas. Excel makes it quite easy to add up your totals and measure taxes. You can set up a table with items and formulas with little effort.
However Excel falls short on the visuals. It’s very hard to make the invoice look professional, even when using professionally designed invoice templates. One of the main drawbacks is that it’s quite difficult to adjust column widths in Excel without impacting the whole document. This is because everything is inside one large table. You also don’t have access to the full range of styling options available in Word.
If you’re running a business, you understand that it’s always important to look at the big picture. With invoices, it’s not just about making the invoice itself. For example:
- You’ll want to know which invoices have been paid, are due or overdue.
- You want to track how much money you’ve earned each month/year for planning and tax purposes.
- There are times were you need to refer back to an old invoice, searching through files is quite frustrating.
- When it comes to getting paid you want to be able to accept credit cards and online payments.
Word and Excel both fail when it comes to the above tasks. Free invoice templates are a great way to get started, but it takes more to run a business.
The best option is to use tools and software designed for making invoices. You can use these tools to gain the best of both worlds! Great convenience as well as amazing style.
That’s where we come in. We’ve built our online invoice generator to be a great alternative to Word and Excel. Here are some of the added benefits of using Invoice Simple:
- Professional layout
- Fully customizable
- Clients and items are automatically saved for future use
- Simple book keeping for tax season
- The app saves your clients and items, having them ready for use the next time you’re writing an invoice
- Organize your invoices without needing to put in any additional time in
- Use a professionally designed template that’s compatible with printers and mobile devices
- See an overview of your business at a glance, without any effort
- Know when your invoice is viewed by a customer
- Process credit cards online or on the spot
- and many more amazing benefits
If you’re invoicing more than once or twice a month it makes a lot of sense to switch to an invoicing software.
There are people out there who don’t use any of the above options. I’ve heard of people using Photoshop, Indesign or Acrobat editable PDFs. Usually among photographers and designers who already have access to and use these tools for work.
These products all work fine if you’ve a made the template already. However they’re very energy intensive when you want to change something, for example your address or corporate color. Other problem is that the templates are very inflexible, for example if you have a line item that requires more space than usual, you’re out of luck.
Even more free invoice templates
Over the past couple months we’ve been asked for more templates. So here are a few specialized templates that could help you out:
- Rental invoice templates: if you’re looking to send an invoice to your tenant then use the templates listed here. We’ve gotten rid of some of the extra columns to simplify the whole thing, resulting in a cleaner and clearer invoice.
- Consulting invoice templates: for those consultants out there we’ve setup a short guide and six invoice templates to help you get paid.
- Free itemized bill templates: a few templates for those who want to create and send itemized bills.
Invoice templates in other languages
We offer downloadable templates and our invoice generator in a few different languages: