Downloadable Free Invoice Templates
We spent quite a bit of time reviewing various templates online and offline. In the end, we selected six of our favorites. All three are quite general, so if you’re looking for something more specific scroll further down to see our list of industry-specific, free invoice templates. Click on one of the templates shown below or select a file format you’d like to use.
Invoice Template 1
Invoice Template 2
Invoice Template 3
Invoice Template 4
Invoice Template 5
Highlights of Invoice Simple Templates
We’ve put in a lot of effort to make sure you get the best template possible.
All versions are print friendly
Built from scratch
Include essential invoice elements
Automatically calculate subtotal and grand total amounts
What are the benefits of using a great invoice template?
Your Invoices are the last interaction customers have with your business. When you use a great invoice, you enjoy quite a few benefits:
- Leaving a great last impression with your client
- Clients are more likely to refer you to other potential customers
- A happy customer is a repeat customer
- A professional record is more likely to be kept whereas a handwritten note would be discarded or mistaken for trash
- If you use our mobile app, you’ll be able to find out when clients view your invoice
- When using our mobile app, you can set up online payments and get paid shortly after sending your invoice
When you have access to free invoice templates, you might as well reap the rewards.
What are the 5 Types of Invoices for Small Businesses?
From consulting services to construction and Excel to Google Docs, there are plenty of reasons and ways to create a small business invoice. But what are the different types of invoices that small businesses can put to use? These are the five most common types of invoices for small businesses:
- Pro forma invoices are often used instead of an estimate — they show how much the project will be.
- Interim invoices are used for larger projects, breaking them down into smaller installments.
- Recurring invoices are used for retainers and other ongoing relationships.
- Past due invoices are sent out as a sharp reminder that the customer still owes on the invoice.
- Final invoices are the most common type of invoice, indicating that a project has been completed and payment is due.
You can use any of the invoice templates above to create these five types of invoices.
You have a few different choices when selecting a template. Each has its benefits and tradeoffs:
- Word template
- Excel template
- PDF template
- Google Drive template (Docs, Sheets)
Microsoft Word is designed for general documents such as letters and reports. You can usually make quite good-looking documents in Word. However, it can be quite a pain to add line items, totals and calculate taxes. There are always some unseen and immovable margins at work. Do yourself a service and skip making a template from scratch. Instead use one of the many free invoice templates provided here.
Some recommend using Excel instead of Word, because of its automatic formulas. Excel makes it quite easy to add up your totals and measure taxes. You can set up a table with items and formulas with little effort. However, Excel falls short on the visuals. It’s very hard to make the invoice look professional, even when using professionally designed invoice templates.
One of the main drawbacks is that it’s quite difficult to adjust column widths in Excel without impacting the whole document. This is because everything is inside one large table. You also don’t have access to the full range of styling options available in Word.
If you’re running a business, you understand that it’s always important to look at the big picture. With invoices, it’s not just about making the invoice itself. For example:
- You’ll want to know which invoices have been paid, are due or overdue.
- You want to track how much money you’ve earned each month/year for planning and tax purposes.
- There are times when you need to refer to an old invoice and searching through files is quite frustrating.
- When it comes to getting paid you want to be able to accept credit cards and online payments.
Word and Excel both fail when it comes to the above tasks. Free invoice templates are a great way to get started.
The best option is to use tools and software designed for making invoices. You can use these tools to gain the best of both worlds! Great convenience as well as amazing style. That’s where we come in. We’ve built our online invoice generator to be a great alternative to Word and Excel. Here are some of the added benefits of using Invoice Simple:
- Professional layout
- Fully customizable
- Clients and items are automatically saved for future use
- Simple bookkeeping for tax season
- The app saves your clients and items, having them ready for use the next time you’re writing an invoice
- Organize your invoices without needing to put in any additional time in
- Use a professionally designed template that’s compatible with printers and mobile devices
- See an overview of your business at a glance, without any effort
- Know when your invoice is viewed by a customer
- Process credit cards online or on the spot
- And many more amazing benefits!
If you’re invoicing more than once or twice a month it makes a lot of sense to switch to an invoicing software.
There are people out there who don’t use any of the above options. Some people use Photoshop, InDesign, or Acrobat editable PDFs. Usually among photographers and designers who already have access to and use these tools for work.
These products all work fine if you’ve made the template already. However, they’re very energy intensive when you want to change something. For example, your address or corporate color. Another problem is that the templates are very inflexible. For example, if you have a line item that requires more space than usual, you’re out of luck.
We offer downloadable templates and our invoice generator in a few different languages:
Build a Custom Invoice
Create the perfect invoice for your business with our Online Invoice Generator.Try It