This free receipt template is a simple and easy way to send professional-looking receipts to clients after they’ve paid you. Simply download the Word Docx or Excel file and fill out the customizable fields. Then you’re ready to email or print the receipt.
Receipt template highlights
- Completely free Excel receipt template ready to send to clients
- Template automatically calculates subtotal and grand total amounts
- Fully customizable
- Professional format with all essential receipt elements
- Printable receipt
Receipts are essentially paid invoices so for guides on writing a create receipt our invoice guide is a great place to start.
Alternatives to using Excel or Word receipt templates
Microsoft Word is designed for general documents such as letters and reports. You can usually make quite good looking documents in Word. However it can be quite a pain to add line items, totals and calculate taxes.
Some recommend using Excel instead, because of it’s automatic formulas. Excel makes it quite easy to add up your totals and measure taxes. You can set up a table with items and quantities with little effort.
However Excel falls short on the visuals. It’s very hard to make the receipt look professional, even when using professionally designed receipt templates.
The best option is to use tools and software designed for making receipts. You can use these tools to gain the best of both worlds! Great convenience as well as amazing style.
That’s where we come in. We’ve built our receipt maker to be a great alternative to Word and Excel. Here are some of the added benefits of using Invoice Simple:
- Professional layout
- Fully customizable
- Clients and items are automatically saved for future use
- Simple book keeping for tax season
If you’re handing out receipts more than once or twice a month it makes a lot of sense to switch to an receipt maker.
Specialized receipt template collection
Some tasks require a specially modified receipt:
- Rent Receipt: If you’re giving a receipt to a tenant you will need to use a specialized template. For example you usually only have one item to bill for, so a long table may not be appropriate. To help out, we’ve created a few receipt slips that are specifically tailored for rental properties.
FYI, we also have a few rental invoice templates if you’re interested.
- Cash Receipt Template: Similar to the rental receipt template, the cash receipt will only contain one item. This type of receipt is used when you ask for cash from someone, typically as a deposit for some item.
- Donation Receipt: I would say this is a subtype of the cash receipt, except that it may include additional info that you’d need to deduct donations from your taxes. Useful for getting a bigger tax return while also helping those in need.